Optimization Tracker Instructions
Here are some instructions for use of the Optimization Tracker:
After clicking the download link provided via email, click the blue 'Make a Copy' button on the launched browser screen. You can name your new copy whatever you'd like once it opens. It will be named 'Copy of Optimization Tracker - 2023' by default.
- Navigate to the 'Settings' tab
- Enter your Google Calendar ID in cell F3. If you need help finding your Calendar ID, follow the link in cell E4.
- In the 'Settings' tab, you can name the 'Descriptions' whatever you would like. The file comes loaded with the original sections used when I was creating this tracker as an example. It does not matter what the titles are in column B, just type in whatever makes sense for you to track.
- In Column C of the 'Settings' tab, the 'Key' will be what you include in your calendar events moving forward. In the screenshot above you will see that 'Work:HAR' key is 'W:H'. Name these in a way that makes sense to you. When you create a new event in your Google Calendar moving forward, make sure that these keys are included somewhere in the title. I start a calendar event I am creating with the key so that they are easy to recognize when looking at my Google Calendar. I've included an example below. If this is not making sense please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will provide examples and walk you through it.
- Once you have started loading calendar events with your new 'Key' at the beginning of the title it will be time to run the script for the first time. Navigate to 'Update Calendar Data' in the Google Sheet Menu.
- The first time you click 'Update Calendar Data' you will need to authorize the code running in the background to pull data from Google Calendar into Google Sheets. This file is called 'Export_GCal_to_GSheet'
- Click on your Google account.
- You will be prompted with the following two screens. First click 'Advanced' then click 'Go to Export_GCal_to_GSheet (unsafe)' Note: I'm waiting for Google to add this app to the store, this is the reason for this alert.
- Finally, when prompted with this last screen (screenshot below) click 'Allow.'
- Again navigate to the 'Update Calendar Data' section on the Google Sheets main menu. You will be able to update each month individually whenever you would like. Once you do this, you will begin to see the data loaded in the corresponding month tab (for example, if you click 'Update January' you will see the 'Jan' tab updated with data) as well as the yearly view named 'Monthly Tracker.' Update for whatever current month we are in, as well as any previous months if you plan on going back and changing previous month's calendar invites to include the 'Key' prompts.
That's it! You've successfully linked you're Human Optimization tracker to your Google Calendar!
If you have any questions or concerns please reach out to me and I will be happy to assist.
"I am human optimization" - Rob Dyrdek